ALFREDO BIAGINI BRONZE SCULPTURE AT JENNMAUR GALLERY  
     
  ALFREDO BIAGINI (ITALIAN 1886-1952)  
 
Biagini received an early introduction to the craft of metalworking from his father, who was a goldsmith. From 1905 -on he studied sculpture and architecture in Rome. Four years later he moved to Paris. In 1912 he won the National Artistic exhibition for "Pensionato". During the war he had his studio in Villa Strohl-Fern where he came into contact with Drei and Selva. He began exhibiting at the Secession and in 1918 he took part in the Exhibition at "Casina del Pincio". He also showed his works in the "Biennali Romana". Subsequently he took part in major exhibitions in Italy and abroad: Genoa (1920 1921), Berlin (1921), Dusseldorf (1922), and in the same year in the "Primaverile Fiorentina". He successfully exhibited at the first show of "Novecento Italiano" in Milan (1926) where the Permanente acquired one of his works, the other cast of "The Monkey". He held a one-man show at the "Biennali di Venezia" (1936) and at the "Quadriennale Romana" where he showed 26 sculptures. He also collaborated with Marcello Piacentini at Hotel Ambasciatori (1925), and at Quirinetta (1927). Biagini specialized in the sculpture of animals and further developed the idea of a rigorous architectonic construction of the form. He had many contacts with other artists in Paris and he exhibited with his friend de Chirico at San Silvestro Gallery (1945). De Chirico was instrumental in mounting Biagini's retrospective at the International Artistic Association in Rome (1954).
 
     
 

   
   
Alfredo Biagini (Italian, 1886-1952) "Monkey",circa 1920, signed, bronze
Dimensions: 22&1/2ins high by 35&1/2in long